According to the World Health Organisation c. 1 in 20 adults suffer from depression. The thing about depression is it can effect anyone. It can also build up over time.
Depression is recognised as one of the leading causes of disability worldwide and be intensely debilitating. By its very nature the negative thought processes can become very cyclical making it very hard to see a way out.
Common symptoms of Depression are:
- Depressed mood (feeling sad, irritable, empty)
- Loss of pleasure or interest in activities
- Loss of libido
- Poor concentration
- Low confidence
- Feelings of excessive guilt or low self-worth
- Hopelessness about the future
- Becoming easily irritated or feeling numb
- Thoughts about dying or suicide
- Disrupted or excessive need to sleep
- Changes in appetite or weight
- Feeling especially tired or low in energy.
Whilst it would always be recommended you talk to your Doctor or a relevent medical professional first to ensure there are no physical or medical causes the Solution Focused appraoch can help break the depressive cycle. Understanding how the brain works and what we can do to deal with depression can be hugely beneficial. This is the first part of the Solution Focused approach and forms a part of the Initial Consultation. From there we look at what changes you can introduce into your life that are realistsic and achievable for you. It is all about providing you with the unique tools that work individually for you, not just now but for the rest of your life.